Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Questions from my IG peeps

I was having a brain fart today when I went to my IG (instagram - you can find me there at skinnygirl_rny if you are not already a follower) I asked them for questions, ideas and topics. So here is what they wanted to know,and wanted me to talk about.

DISCLAIMER: I get into some pretty heavy topics, I talk about some nasty stuff and I am not holding back at all I may even say a swear word or two. Oh and this is going to be a long one.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

rny.anna gave me an amazing list. So lets get going. She wants to know, what made me decide on my RNY path.  So about 6 years ago after I had my last child I found out I had cervical cancer. I was on some great meds to help shrink the mass and hopefully get back to normal. I lost a lot of weight. Pair that with taking a huge leap to leave the biological father which was really stressful and that alone can factor in your weight and health. I though sick on the inside never felt better on the outside. I was always the fat girl at the table. I was always the girl with the great personality. The friend. I will never forget my high school crush saying if I ever turned my life around and became a model he would date me. WHAT THE HELL? I was bound and determined to become a hand model. NO LIE. He became one of my best friends, and we did kiss once, but he never turned to the dark side. I couldn't convert him to be a chubby chaser. Anyhow, back on track. My cancer wasn't getting better, and I was getting worse so I ended up having a partial hysterectomy. I was okay with that. Still had my ovaries which play a HUGE part in being a woman. I didn't know that then. Later cancer would get me again and I had to have my ovaries removed too. I woke up to getting a hormone shot in my butt. I couldn't afford the hormone medicine a lot of the time and had to skip doses for months. I gained a lot of weight from that. I also was now remarried to the greatest man alive. I thought okay I am comfy in my relationship, and I had my goods removed, totally exceptionable reasons to gain weight. Now I used to call my down south region my kitchen. Ya see a lot of baking happened in there. Now I feel like a gutted kitchen. Over the last two years I sky rocked in my weight. Gaining over 120 pounds. I in the past year and a half have had a major ankle surgery. That ankle gave out running out down the stairs. I broke my other ankle. Despite that, I thought I can still do this. I can still work out. I got this. With lots of cheer leading, I kept trying, and failing, but dusting myself off and trying. The weight would tease me, a few pounds, and then back.  I even had a damn breast reduction to work out better. These bad boys were a killer, and hurt so bad so I was so happy to get a breast reduction. Still nothing. My kids stopped drawing stick figures of me and drew round bellies. I was getting tired for no reason. I was sleeping a lot, getting migraines. I was not motivated to do anything active with my kids. My depression reached an all time low. I knew I had to do something. I went to my family doctor and we came up with at first the sleeve. I was turned down before he even introduced himself. I was referred to another surgeon an hour plane ride away. He had my labs drawn that same day, and I was diagnosed with severe hypothyroidism. I now am on medication for that too. It has been a year since I made the choice to have gastric bypass surgery, and am so excited to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am choosing this to be more active, to play with my kids, and their kids, to love myself again, and smile again.
She asked me what are my goals after my weight loss surgery. SIMPLE, to stay on point. Focus, remember why I did this. Try not to cheat, and follow my surgeons instructions.
What I look forward to after WLS. First when I go to sit on the airplane and I have to adjust the seat belt. Next when this spare tire under my boobs isn't bigger then my boobs. Last, doing some out door activity with my kids the whole time.
My fears going into WLS. That it won't work. =(
What are your chosen vitamins and protein drinks. Right now I am taking a multi vitamin, vit D3, folic acid, Vit D, biotin  no protein drinks at this time.
Steps take to get to wls. labs drawn, ekg, upper GI, nutritionist visits, 6 months of weigh ins, sleep study, psychological evaluation, I feel like I am forgetting something. It has been a long year.
Thank you Anna.
fit_colie9114 asks:
My relationship with food pre-op vs post op.
I really feel like I have an advantage here. I don't have a relationship with food. My surgery is based on my body doing this to me, not me eating to much. I have a shopping problem which is just as bad in my opinion. Before surgery I am eating like many other people. I could eat healthier yes, though I am not eating really bad. I don't over eat. I normally will have small portions. Take some of my meal to go. I forget to eat most days. That is a down fall too. I have been trying to teach myself in prep for surgery to eat slower. MUCH MUCH s....l....o...w...e...r,  smaller bites. Much smaller portions. As far as my water goes I am trying to drink an ounce or two every 15 minutes I have an app ;) bariatric timer.
Thank you fit_colie
 lovelyrnylisa asks:
What websites do you use for new food ideas. OH good questions and while I would love to say I have one. I honestly don't. A lot I have noticed is facebook. Weird huh? So many good things come across my wall and I check it out. So many dishes can be made healthy. sub fatty bad ingredients for good ones.
What exercises do you do? I love the treadmill. I love it more when I go with a friend that I love to talk to. Chatting about everything and nothing and before I know it I have walked or jogged for 45 minutes. I love doing the dark horse work out. Google it : Dark horse Jessica work out. Oh man it is my favorite.  Oh and the last one, which I have done many times already while writing this blog post. Putting in my ear buds, and doing a dance break. Right now, I am listening to the Meghan Trainer album.
She wants to know what my favorite NSV (non scale victory) is.  I have not had the surgery yet. I plan on documenting all of them. The little things will be so important. When the towel closes all the way, not having to lay on the bed to zip my jeans. Running for 10 minutes with out stopping. So many things I look forward to.
Thank you Lisa.

Next is Tinagallinawls:
She wants me to talk about how important it is to eat slowly. This is a big deal. Many people will say, I was so hungry I didn't eat, or they will eat one more bite then they should. Pushing the limits. Then they have dumping syndrome. Again, google it. It isn't fun. Some people get clear signs from their body to slow down, wait to take another bite, or hey dummy we are full. STOP EATING. I found a great app called the bariatric timer, and once you take a sip or two, or you eat, you press the timer for which ever you did and after 15 minutes it will tell you you can eat or drink again. This is a must for me. I use this even now. For the water portion. Isn't it cute???
timer
Tina wants to talk poop.
Okay, so I had my gall bladder removed many years ago. Going poop, shit, having a bowel movement, number 2 what ever you call it, is rough. I go a few times a day. I can't eat super greasy fatty foods, or with in 10-15 minutes I will be making a bathroom visit. I actually look forward to not having to go as much. Though I have MANY friends who say, that they after WLS go many days with out going. I have had to pull over on the side of the highway and emergency poop. It wasn't pretty, and no, not just once. About ummm 4 or 5 times. I was so embarrassed at first when it happened. Now I carry wipes in my car for those special times my body tries to embarrass me. Oh poop, jokes on you.. I don't care anymore. So I welcome getting stopped up actually. Though I have like I said had friends who this really bothered them. It hurts, and is not pleasant. I mean think about it. You no longer have the stomach to eat as much food, so not much is going through there, it has to build up, then you have tons of vitamins and then for a first few weeks you are trying to get all the narcotics out of your system and those on their own are a huge constipator. Never the less,  something that really helps keep you regular is water and many if not all who have had WLS have to choose, water or protein. It is hard to get all that you are supposed to get. So water gets in, but not enough. So now you have to take something and well... then you get the runs. So there is no happy medium. So yup. shit happens.. or in this case, doesn't.  (I really did just laugh to myself.)
Thank you Tina
catssleeveconfessions asks:
What do you wish you knew before surgery. So I have to say I am pretty educated at this point, and gotten tons of advice. I wish I could see in my future and see how it will be for me. As we all know, everyone could tell me all day, what they went through and chances are for me that it will totally opposite.
She also wants to know why I chose an RNY over a sleeve- Rny because MANY reasons one, RNY is reversible.  It has been around for MUCH longer, and last sleeves are geared more for people who have a relationship with food (not to say that people with food addictions don't get RNY's) RNY's are good for people who have health related weight gain. I was at first denied the sleeve, and it was actually a blessing because it gave me more time to research my options and in that moment we knew (we my husband and I who is my biggest supporter) to do the RNY.
In a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass , only a small part of the stomach is used to create a new stomach pouch, roughly the size of an egg. The smaller stomach is connected directly to the middle portion of the small intestine (jejunum), bypassing the rest of the stomach and the upper portion of the small intestine (duodenum)
Thank you cat.

So that is all for today and I am so thankful for these awesome IG followers, and friends and supporters. These are just a small handful of the wonderful people I have over there. If you are seeking out WLS and need support. Download instagram and start inputting this in the search bar  rny, sleeve, lapband, sleever, gastricbypass and you will find MANY people headed down that journey too, already there, and many several years out. You will see the good the bad and the very ugly. You will never feel more love then you do there. -J






No comments: